Every holiday season, Family Lifeline organizes volunteers to create and deliver friendly baskets of cheer to seniors in our community who are experiencing loneliness and isolation around the holiday season. A meaningful way to brighten the lives of older adults and individuals with disabilities that we serve, it also allows community members to experience our mission – bringing health and hope directly into the home.
Our clients come to us from many different places and circumstances. What they have in common is that they all face the challenges of aging, which often includes pain, decreased mobility, social isolation, and loneliness. This small bit of holiday cheer can mean the world to them. We hope you’ll be a part of it!
We are currently seeking volunteers to create donated baskets of cheer by December 4. Interested? Complete this Donor Interest Form!
Suggested items to include:
- Stationery, cards and pens
- Toiletry items: perfume, soaps, hand soaps, lotions, lip gloss, combs, brushes, etc.
- Pill boxes and sewing kits
- Nonperishable drink items like tea, coffee, cocoa, and cider instant packets
- Nonperishable healthy food items like jelly, jam, crackers, honey, nuts, dried fruits, etc.
- Aromatherapy items and flameless candles
- Nightlights and flashlights, with batteries
- Cold weather items: wraps, blankets, gloves, scarves, or hats
- Crossword puzzles, word search, or Sudoku books – large print helpful
- Books and notebooks
- Calendars, card games
- A small gift item or decoration for their home
- A small gift card to local grocery or drug store
- Use a decorative box or wicker basket as a container
- Consider making baskets gender-neutral or be sure to label if it is meant for a man or woman.
- Most baskets have a finished value of $20
If you have any interest in becoming a regular Friendly Visitor to an isolated senior as part of our Visiting Volunteers program, please contact Colleen Wilhelm at 804.249.9343 or [email protected].